Business situation continues to worsen due to coronavirus – Scandic to give notice of termination
Booking activity has continued to decrease in the past few days. In all of Scandic’s markets, decisions by authorities and travel restrictions have contributed to a reduction in travel and an increase in the number of events that have been canceled. Scandic now estimates that net sales in March will be substantially lower than the previous sales forecast of -15% for comparable units. It is also clear that sales development will be significantly negative in the next months.
As announced earlier, Scandic is taking vigorous steps to adapt costs to the new business situation. This includes significant reductions in manning levels in both hotel operations and support functions and Scandic has also made substantial cutbacks in purchasing and investment operations.
- Scandic is in discussion with governments and authorities, both directly and through labor market partners, to obtain support to immediately and temporarily adapt its business and thereby limit the negative impact on our team members, says Jens Mathiesen, President & CEO of Scandic Hotels Group AB.
Scandic has also decided to reduce the salaries of all members of the Executive Management Team by 20 percent.
Staffing needs are being reviewed in the whole Group. Today, Scandic is giving notice of termination of employment to about 2,000 permanent employees in Sweden, which corresponds to about half of the permanent employees in the country. At the same time, the number of temporary employees will also be reduced in Sweden. At the moment, it is not possible to say how many employees will receive notice of termination or be laid off throughout the Group, but based on the current exceptional situation, Scandic expects that significant cutbacks will be required in all of its markets.
For more information, please contact:
Jan Johansson, CFO
Phone: +46 705 758972
Henrik Vikström, Director Investor Relations
Phone: +46 709 52 80 06
This information is information that Scandic Hotels Group AB (publ) is obliged to make public pursuant to the EU Market Abuse Regulation. The information was submitted for publication, through the agency of the contact persons set out above, at 17.15 CET on March 12, 2020.
About Scandic Hotels Group
Scandic is the largest hotel company in the Nordic countries with more than 280 hotels, in operation and under development, in more than 130 destinations. The company is the leader when it comes to integrating sustainability in all operations and its award-winning Design for All concept ensures that Scandic hotels are accessible to everyone. Well loved by guests and employees, the Scandic Friends loyalty program is the largest in the Nordic hotel industry and the company is one of the most attractive employers in the region. Scandic Hotels is listed on Nasdaq Stockholm. www.scandichotelsgroup.com
Latest press releases
- July 16, 2021 07:30 CEST Scandic’s interim report Q2 2021 – Recovery gaining momentum
- July 7, 2021 10:09 CEST Invitation to presentation of Scandic’s interim report for the second quarter 2021
- June 30, 2021 09:00 CEST Scandic rewards conscientious travelers - launches program to engage guests together with the Keep Sweden Tidy Foundation
- June 16, 2021 08:00 CEST Scandic takes Gothenburg to new heights – Scandic Göteborg Central set to open next year
- September 28, 2021 Silent Period Q3 2021
- October 28, 2021 Q3 Report 2021
- January 11, 2022 Silent Period Year-End Report 2021