Scandic’s interim report Q1 2017 – Continued strong underlying growth
First quarter in summary
- Net sales increased by 19.3% to 3,095 MSEK (2,594) due to higher RevPAR, more rooms in operation and positive currency effects.
- RevPAR LFL grew by 12.2% driven by higher occupancy and increased average room rates.
- The Easter holiday fell entirely in April which is why the quarter is not fully comparable with the first quarter 2016. Calendar effects are estimated to have had a positive impact on net sales- and RevPAR growth for comparable units of 7 percentage points.
- Adjusted EBITDA increased to 154 MSEK (40), corresponding to a margin of 5.0% (1.5%). The margin was impacted positively by the fact that the 2017 Easter holiday fell in April.
- Earnings per share increased to -0.35 SEK (-0.98).
- Scandic signed agreement with Pandox and Eiendomsspar to take over the operations of eight hotels in Norway, Sweden and Denmark. The agreement includes Grand Hotel in Oslo, which will become a signature hotel.
- Scandic signed an agreement to operate a new hotel with 148 rooms at Helsinki Airport. The hotel will open in 2018.
- Scandic signed an agreement to operate a new hotel in central Gothenburg with 362 rooms that will be completed at the end of 2020.
- Even Frydenberg will take over as President & CEO from July 31, 2017.
CEO’s comments in summary
Scandic got off to a good start this year with strong sales development and improved earnings. RevPAR LFL has developed positively in all markets and additionally, the new hotel openings in 2016 have contributed to growth. Our reported sales growth of 19 percent was affected by the fact that Easter fell during April this year, but it was still double-digit after adjusting for the Easter effect.
The Nordic hotel market is continuing to develop positively. It is gratifying that we also now see breadth in market growth with encouraging development in the Norwegian market as well.
During the quarter, ten hotels with a total of 2,218 rooms were added to our pipeline. Scandic now has a strong project portfolio and a balance sheet that provides good financial flexibility for continued expansion.
Our assessment is that market conditions will remain favorable in 2017.
President & CEO
Report presentation May 10, 2017 at 09.00 CET
A presentation of the report will take place at 09.00 CET today, May 10. Scandic’s President & CEO Frank Fiskers will present the report together with CFO Jan Johansson in a webcast and telephone conference.
Details for participation by telephone: SE+46 8 5664 2509 or UK +44 20 3008 9808
Please call in 5 minutes before the start.
The presentation will be held in English.
You can view the webcast at www.scandichotelsgroup.com. The interim report and presentation slides will also be available on the website.
Scandic Hotels Group (publ) is required to publish this information in accordance with the EU Market Abuse Regulation and the Swedish Securities Market Act. The information was submitted for publication May 10, 2017 at 07:30 CET.
For further information, please contact:
Henrik Vikström, Director Investor Relations
Telephone: +46 70 952 80 06
Scandic is the largest hotel company in the Nordic region with 15,000 team members and a network of close to 230 hotels with about 45,000 hotel rooms in operation and under development. Scandic Friends is the biggest loyalty program in the Nordic hotel sector with 2 million members. Corporate responsibility has always been a part of Scandic’s DNA and Scandic has been named Best Hotel Brand in the Nordic countries (BDRC). Since December 2, 2015, Scandic has been listed on Nasdaq Stockholm. www.scandichotelsgroup.com
Latest press releases
- May 10, 2022 12:40 CEST Bulletin from Scandic’s annual general meeting 2022
- April 28, 2022 11:55 CEST Scandic to open third hotel in Tromsø
- April 27, 2022 07:30 CEST Scandic’s interim report Q1 2022
- April 8, 2022 13:00 CEST Scandic published its annual and sustainability report 2021