Major new hotel featuring Miami-inspired rooftop terrace now opening in Gothenburg
The new hotel will be strategically located at the southern abutment of the new Hisingsbron bridge, just a couple hundred meters from Gothenburg Central Station. Thanks to its ideal placement, the vibe of the city and harbor area will flow through the glass-covered facade and spacious lobby, all the way up to the rooftop terrace and Above restaurant, the hotel’s hidden ace on the fourteenth floor.
At Above, Gothenburg will meet Miami’s melting pot in both the decor and playful food and drinks menu where much-loved classics like the city’s famous shrimp sandwich are reinvented and paired with cocktails. The panoramic terrace is partially weather protected, which means that hotel, bar and restaurant guests will be able to enjoy the spectacular view and vibrant atmosphere at the green rooftop oasis all year round.
The 60,000 m2 property will be used by hotel guests, office workers and Gothenburgers alike, accommodating up to 6,000 people per day. The hotel’s airy lobby will be filled with the happy sounds of guests arriving and departing and the hum from the cafés and restaurants serving international cuisine, or possibly a round of applause from the hotel’s largest meeting room, The Grand Container, which can accommodate events and conferences for up to 1,000 people.
- Together with my fantastic 180-strong team, I’m thrilled to be opening a hotel that will take Gothenburg to new heights – a place where guests will be able to enjoy a taste of Miami on the roof at Above and the ideal venue for meetings both grand and intimate. I feel great pride knowing what Scandic Göteborg Central will bring to Gothenburg. Our important task is to create memorable experiences for guests and locals, especially now that the city is gearing up for its largest event season yet, says Malin Odéhn, General Manager at Scandic Göteborg Central.
The hotel will contribute 451 rooms to Gothenburg, an important addition as Scandic helps develop Gothenburg into Sweden’s foremost city for meetings, events and sustainable tourism. Thanks to its strategic location, Scandic Göteborg Central is easily accessible from road and train networks as well as the planned western link that will improve transportation to and from the hotel.
- It’s great to be opening Scandic’s 89th hotel in Sweden in Vasakronan’s spectacular building at the same time as we are creating more than 180 new jobs in the city. Gothenburg is an important market for us and I think that opening Scandic Göteborg Central sends a clear signal that we are committed to continuing to create great experiences and even more reasons to visit the city, says Peter Jangbratt, Head of Sweden at Scandic Hotels.
As at all Scandic hotels, sustainability is a central part of Scandic Göteborg Central. The hotel is ecolabeled according to the Nordic Swan Ecolabel’s new, tough criteria where, among other things, ecolabeled products and chemicals and 100 percent renewable electricity, the absence of single-use disposables, reduced water consumption, a climate-friendly menu and reduced food waste formed the basis for certification.
The building has also been certified according to LEED (Leadership in Energy and Environmental Design), an international sustainability assessment system, meeting the requirements for LEED Platinum, which is the highest level. The purpose of the certification is to provide an independent environmental assessment of the building for guests, society and other stakeholders. The certification system assesses several important sustainability aspects, such as biodiversity, water conservation, energy and resource efficiency as well as the ability of indoor spaces to provide good daylight, air and sound environments.
In addition to the internationally recognized environmental certifications for property and hotel operations, the rooms at Scandic Göteborg Central have been designed with circularity in mind and parts of the room interiors are environmentally certified or made from recycled materials. The interiors have a lifespan of up to 15 years and most materials can be reused or recycled during renovations, which is in line with Scandic’s vision of a completely circular hotel room.
Scandic Göteborg Central will strengthen Scandic’s presence in the hotel market in Gothenburg and following the opening, the company will operate a total of nine hotels with 2,670 rooms.
Facts about Scandic Göteborg Central:
- 14 floors
- Hotel space: ca 25,000 m2
- Rooms: 451
- Number of beds: 1,225
- Family rooms: 150
- Suites: 4
- Accessible rooms: 47
- Animal-friendly rooms: 117
- Seating in Above restaurant: 128 indoors
- Maximum capacity on rooftop terrace: 500
- Coworking spaces: 96
- Conference rooms: 19
- Maximum capacity at The Grand Container: 1,000
- Architect, building: Erik Giudice
- Architect, interior: Koncept
- Property owner: Vasakronan
- Construction year: 2017-2022
- Construction company: PEAB
- Environmental certification: Nordic Swan Ecolabel and LEED Platinum
For more information, please contact:
Oscar Brehmer, Communication Manager, Scandic Hotels Group
Phone: +46 721 709 297
About Scandic Hotels Group
Scandic is the largest hotel company in the Nordic countries with more than 280 hotels, in operation and under development, in more than 130 destinations. The company is the leader when it comes to integrating sustainability in all operations and its award-winning Design for All concept ensures that Scandic hotels are accessible to everyone. Well loved by guests and employees, the Scandic Friends loyalty program is the largest in the Nordic hotel industry and the company is one of the most attractive employers in the region. Scandic is listed on Nasdaq Stockholm. www.scandichotelsgroup.com