The results of the year’s Sustainable Brand Index have now been announced and in the Nordic region, Scandic has continued to climb closer to the top in all countries. In Sweden, it was the highest placing hotel company, ranking 18 out of 355 brands. Scandic’s ranking and performance are based on consumers’ assessments of how the company is working to achieve the UN’s Sustainable Development Goals as well as its sustainability initiatives in 2018.
– We’re extremely proud to see an increase in all countries and our success is thanks to our 18,000 team members who drive our sustainability work forward every day. We launched many positive initiatives last year that are now widespread, and our ranking this year indicates that consumers have both gotten the message and think it’s positive. This will definitely give us extra energy to advance even more next year,” says Vanessa Butani, who is responsible for sustainability at Scandic.
During 2018, Scandic launched a number of sustainability initiatives starting with a Sustainability Hackathon involving all team members to brainstorm ideas on how to make Scandic even more sustainable. Scandic also made the decision to stop using all plastic straws, cocktail sticks and coffee lids and to stop serving cage eggs. Not only that, the company introduced a plant-based burger and became a member of the International Tourism Partnership.
– Alongside these initiatives, Scandic has been focusing on the UN’s Sustainable Development Goals since 2015. One example of this is our work to reduce food waste by optimizing the entire meal chain from purchasing to preparation and serving. This has led to partnerships with Too Good To Go and Karma that have resulted in 150,000 portions of food being sold onwards on digital platforms instead of being thrown out. Sustainability has always been important to us and will always be so, concludes Vanessa.
Ranking in Scandic’s countries of operation:
- Sweden: 18 (22) of 355 brands
- Denmark: 45 (57) of 219 brands
- Finland: 45 (59) of 174 brands
- Norway: 14 (15) of 233 brands
How the study was carried out
The Sustainable Brand Index is Europe’s largest independent brand study with a focus on sustainability and it has been carried out annually since 2011. The study aims to highlight sustainability and to increase knowledge about it. In 2019, about 50,000 respondents were interviewed in the Nordic countries of which 18,600 in Sweden, 7,700 in Norway, 7,400 in Denmark, 10,300 in Finland and 6,000 in the Netherlands. The target group for the study is individuals from the public in each country between age 16 and 70. The selection is representative of each country’s population demographic. The interviews were conducted between November 2018 and January 2019 and February and March 2019 (divided into quantitative and qualitative studies). Read more at www.sb-insight.com.
For more information, please contact:
- Anna-Klara Lindholm, PR-Manager, Scandic Hotels Group
- Email: email@example.com
- Phone: +46 70 973 52 31