Scandic’s interim report Q2 2022 – Record earnings for Scandic
Second quarter in summary
- Net sales rose by 221.8 percent to 5,276 MSEK (1,640).
- The average occupancy rate rose to 63.2 percent compared with 27.1 percent during the second quarter of the previous year.
- Average revenue per available room (RevPAR) increased to 749 SEK (245) driven by higher occupancy and positive price development.
- Adjusted EBITDA totaled 1,083 MSEK (-364). The company’s results were positively impacted by state aid of 94 MSEK (203), 167 MSEK attributable to temporary effects from agreements with the Norwegian state regarding housing for refugees from Ukraine and compensation received in connection with the opening of hotels.
- Excluding IFRS 16, earnings per share totaled 2.44 SEK (-3.08).
- Free cash flow totaled 1,300 MSEK (-214).
- Agreement signed for a new 305-room hotel in Tromsø, Norway, which is expected to open in 2025, as well as an agreement to take over a 132-room hotel in Horsens, Denmark from October 1, 2022.
- During the quarter, Scandic opened six hotels and exited two hotels. In total, the number of rooms in operation increased by 1,570.
- Agreement signed with landlord Pandox to extend lease agreements for 15 hotels with a total of 3,598 rooms. In total, 23 agreements were extended during the quarter.
First six months in summary
- Net sales rose by 211.7 percent to 8,009 MSEK (2,569).
- Adjusted EBITDA totaled 846 MSEK (-1,138).
- Excluding IFRS 16, earnings per share amounted to 0.09 SEK (-7.98).
- Free cash flow was 304 MSEK (-1,194).
CEO comments in summary
As we announced earlier, the second quarter was a very strong quarter for Scandic. Both net sales and adjusted EBITDA reached their highest levels ever, while indebtedness dropped sharply as a result of strong cash flow.
Adjusted EBITDA reached 1,083 MSEK and although the company’s results were impacted positively by non-recurring items of 261 MSEK, underlying profitability was at a historically high level with an operating margin of more than 15 percent. This can be explained by the strong hotel market combined with high efficiency and cost control.
The hotel markets picked up in connection with the lifting of restrictions at the start of the year and development was driven by strong underlying demand in all markets. Above all, I’d like to highlight the positive development in the important metropolitan regions where activity levels have returned.
Our occupancy rate rose from 39 percent in Q1 to 63 percent in Q2 and we have seen continued clear increases in room rates in all markets. Scandic’s RevPAR (average revenue per available room) returned to the same level as in the corresponding quarter 2019, which was a record year for the company.
In the past months, we extended 23 leases with terms that will enable good profitability and a balanced risk for Scandic. In June, we signed an agreement with our biggest landlord, Pandox, to extend leases with unchanged rental terms for 15 hotels that together include 3,600 rooms. As part of the agreement, the parties also agreed on a joint renovation program for the hotels. Among other things, Pandox will make investments in ventilation and heat recovery in most of the hotels, which will reduce energy consumption and lower operating costs in the future.
During the quarter, we also strengthened Scandic’s offering with a number of attractive new hotels. Two new hotels opened in Copenhagen and three in the Swedish market in Gothenburg, Helsingborg and Kiruna. In addition, we successfully reopened Scandic Holmenkollen Park outside of Oslo after an extensive renovation and expansion. Several of these openings were initially scheduled to take place earlier, but of course, we are pleased that we were able to open them when the hotel market is so strong.
Based on the current booking situation, we expect a continued strong hotel market in the coming months. We are running our operations more efficiently and are highly prepared to deal with future challenges such as inflation and a potential weakening of the economy. All in all, this provides good conditions for continued good profitability and strong cash flow.
Naturally, we are extremely pleased with our record profit this quarter and I would like to thank all of Scandic’s team members who have made this possible. We look forward to a strong third quarter.
President & CEO
This information is information that Scandic Hotels Group AB is obliged to make public pursuant to the EU Market Abuse Regulation. The information was submitted for publication, through the agency of the contact person set out below, at 07.30 CET on July 15, 2022.
For more information, please contact:
Åsa Wirén, CFO, Scandic Hotels Group
Phone: +46 706 444 533
Report presentation July 15, 2022 at 09.00 CET
A presentation of the report will take place at 09.00 CET today, July 15. Scandic’s President & CEO Jens Mathiesen will present the report together with CFO Åsa Wirén in a webcast and telephone conference. Please call in 5 minutes before the start. The presentation will be held in English.
Details for participation by telephone:
SE: +46 8 5051 6386 | UK: +44 20 3198 4884 | US: +1 412 317 6300
Pin code: 3309366#
You can view the webcast at www.scandichotelsgroup.com. The interim report and presentation slides will also be available on the website. Please join us to listen and ask questions.
About Scandic Hotels Group
Scandic is the largest hotel company in the Nordic countries with more than 280 hotels, in operation and under development, in more than 130 destinations. The company is the leader when it comes to integrating sustainability in all operations and its award-winning Design for All concept ensures that Scandic hotels are accessible to everyone. Well loved by guests and employees, the Scandic Friends loyalty program is the largest in the Nordic hotel industry and the company is one of the most attractive employers in the region. Scandic Hotels is listed on Nasdaq Stockholm.www.scandichotelsgroup.com
Latest press releases
- July 15, 2022 07:30 CEST Scandic’s interim report Q2 2022 – Record earnings for Scandic
- June 30, 2022 13:39 CEST Invitation to presentation of Scandic’s interim report for the second quarter 2022
- June 23, 2022 09:00 CEST Scandic’s largest hotel to date opens in Copenhagen - Nordic spa and chef from Michelin-starred restaurant
- June 17, 2022 10:25 CEST Scandic to take over Hotel Opus in Horsens, Denmark
- September 27, 2022 Silent period Q3, 2022
- October 27, 2022 Q3 report, 2022
- January 17, 2023 Silent period Year-end report 2022