Scandic opens large new hotel in historic printing house in Helsinki
Scandic Helsinki Hub is strategically located at the crossroads of downtown Helsinki and the charming Helsinki south district. Vestiges of the former printing house have been elegantly preserved in the design throughout the building, and guests can choose accommodations that offer a variety of special features and unique experiences, including rooms with a private terrace overlooking the hotel courtyard and junior suites with large corner windows. The rooms facing Annankatu Street also offer views of the verdant Old Church Park.
- We are delighted to open a new hotel during a period when we’re seeing good development in the Helsinki region where activity levels have returned at our hotels. Scandic Helsinki Hub is a splendid addition to our existing hotel portfolio in the capital as both domestic and intra-Nordic leisure and business travelers are back in our hotels, says Aki Käyhkö, Head of Scandic Hotels Finland.
Scandic Helsinki Hub offers flexible meeting, event and coworking spaces. For larger gatherings, there is also a multi-level space with a 16-meter LED wall for larger, more extravagant happenings.
- We want to be a hub where people from all around the world can meet and spark new ideas. We’re opening with a close to 100-strong international team and I’m extremely excited to welcome guests from all over to this fantastic hotel and extraordinary building, says Outi Hanhijärvi, General Manager of Scandic Helsinki Hub.
The hotel’s restaurant, Trattoria II Centro, features Italian cuisine along with a selection of vegan dishes made with authentic Italian ingredients. Guests can enjoy these delights on the hotel’s atmospheric glassed-in terrace or at the bar that opens onto the courtyard.
As at all Scandic hotels, sustainability is a central part of Scandic Helsinki Hub. The hotel is ecolabeled according to the Nordic Swan Ecolabel’s new, tough criteria where, among other things, ecolabeled products and chemicals and 100 percent renewable electricity, the absence of single-use disposables, reduced water consumption, a climate-friendly menu and reduced food waste formed the basis for certification.
The principles of sustainable development have been the starting point for the hotel’s entire planning process. Many of the original elements have been preserved in the building and recycled materials such as plastic bottles and textile waste for furniture and carpets have been prioritized during procurement.
Facts about Scandic Helsinki Hub
- 352 rooms
- 25 accessibility rooms
- Italian-style trattoria and 2 bars, seating 300
- Courtyard terrace
- 8 event and meeting spaces, maximum capacity 520
- Coworking lounge
- Gym, sauna, cold water bucket showers and yoga room
- Garage with electric car and bike charging
- Original building: Tilgmann printing house from 1920s and 1930s
- Interior design: Franz Design
- Architect, renovations: PES-Arkkitehdit
- Property owner: Työeläkeyhtiö Varma
- Construction: Haahtela
- Construction years: 2020 – 2022
- Environmental certification: Nordic Swan Ecolabel
For more information, please contact:
Oscar Brehmer, Communication Manager, Scandic Hotels Group
Phone: +46 721 709 297
About Scandic Hotels Group
Scandic is the largest hotel company in the Nordic countries with more than 280 hotels, in operation and under development, in more than 130 destinations. The company is the leader when it comes to integrating sustainability in all operations and its award-winning Design for All concept ensures that Scandic hotels are accessible to everyone. Well loved by guests and employees, the Scandic Friends loyalty program is the largest in the Nordic hotel industry and the company is one of the most attractive employers in the region. Scandic Hotels is listed on Nasdaq Stockholm. www.scandichotelsgroup.com
Latest press releases
- May 24, 2023 09:30 CEST 24 new industry talents graduate from Scandic’s leadership program
- May 9, 2023 15:02 CEST Bulletin from Scandic’s annual general meeting 2023
- May 8, 2023 13:15 CEST Laura Tarkka new Head of Scandic Hotels in Finland
- April 27, 2023 07:32 CEST Scandic enters economy segment – first Scandic Go hotel to open after summer
- June 14, 2023 Silent period Q2, 2023
- July 14, 2023 Q2 Report 2023
- September 26, 2023 Silent period Q3, 2023