Scandic München Macherei opens in Munich
- Die Macherei is a district for movers and shakers – a creative place where ideas are brought to life. Munich is also an important strategic location for us, so it’s exciting to be opening Scandic’s first hotel in the city. We’re continuing our growth strategy of expanding in Germany’s largest cities. Scandic München Macherei complements our German portfolio at a time when leisure and business travelers have returned in large numbers to our hotels, says Michel Schutzbach, Head of Europe at Scandic Hotels.
The hotel features airy living room-style lounges and spacious co-working areas. Conventional conference rooms have also been replaced by two private rooms that are ideal for shorter meetings. With its international yet Scandinavian-Bavarian feel, the hotel restaurant, Zieglerei, will be a modern meeting place for hotel guests and locals alike.
- I’m very much looking forward to bringing a new type of hotel experience to Munich. We’ve placed great emphasis on creating a sense of community here at Scandic München Macherei and in addition to chic and comfortable hotel rooms, we offer spacious lounge areas for relaxing, coworking, socializing and for private events and seasonal usage, a rooftop terrace with a stunning view of the Alps. Together with my outstanding team, we’re ready to welcome guests to enjoy truly great hotel experiences, says Carina Antic, General Manager at Scandic München Macherei.
The building will also be certified according to LEED (Leadership in Energy and Environmental Design), an international sustainability assessment system, meeting the requirements for LEED Gold. The purpose of the certification is to provide an independent environmental assessment of the building for guests, society and other stakeholders. The certification system assesses several important sustainability aspects, such as biodiversity, water conservation, energy and resource efficiency as well as the ability of indoor spaces to provide good daylight, air and sound environments.
As at all Scandic hotels, sustainability is a central part of Scandic München Macherei. The hotel is aimed to be ecolabeled according to the Nordic Swan Ecolabel’s tough new criteria, when the ecolabel is introduced in Germany. Ecolabeled products, chemicals and 100 percent renewable electricity, the absence of single-use disposables, reduced water consumption, a climate-friendly menu and reduced food waste forms the basis for certification. The hotel is also located near mobility sharing facilities, excellent public transportation options and e-charging stations located in the public underground garage.
Scandic München Macherei is Scandic’s fifth hotel in Germany and the ninth hotel that the company has opened in 2022. The hotel will strengthen Scandic’s presence on the German hotel market and following the opening, the company will operate a total of 1,645 rooms in the country.
Facts about Scandic München Macherei
- 234 rooms
- 24 accessible rooms
- Zieglerei restaurant and bar, seating for 152
- Private meeting rooms, maximum capacity 20 (10 persons each room)
- Coworking lounge
- Architect, interior: Koncept
- Architect, exterior: HWKN New York
- Property owner: Bayerische Versorgungskammer / Universal Investments
- Construction: Art Invest / Accumulata
- Construction years: 2019 – 2022
- Environmental certification: LEED Gold (in preparation) and Nordic Swan Ecolable (in preparation)
For more information, please contact:
Oscar Brehmer, Communication Manager, Scandic Hotels Group
Phone: +46 721 709 297
About Scandic Hotels Group
Scandic is the largest hotel company in the Nordic countries with more than 280 hotels, in operation and under development, in more than 130 destinations. The company is the leader when it comes to integrating sustainability in all operations and its award-winning Design for All concept ensures that Scandic hotels are accessible to everyone. Well loved by guests and employees, the Scandic Friends loyalty program is the largest in the Nordic hotel industry and the company is one of the most attractive employers in the region. Scandic Hotels is listed on Nasdaq Stockholm. www.scandichotelsgroup.com