Scandic Landvetter now open – exciting new landmark in Gothenburg
Just a few steps into the modernized terminal building is the entrance to Scandic Landvetter where travelers are welcomed to a vibrant hotel designed by Wingårdhs architect firm. The entire facade, which features 1,308 flags punched into aluminum sheeting, creates an international feeling and the top floor of the hotel includes a gym and relaxation area with a panoramic view of the runway. The international atmosphere continues throughout the hotel, not least in the unique work of art in the lobby – an airplane window consisting of 36,000 holiday photos that extends from floor to ceiling.
- I’m extremely proud today that together with my team, I am finally able to open the huge glass sections that form the entrance to Scandic Landvetter. This is where the terminal and hotel lobby of the future flow seamlessly into each other. At Scandic Landvetter, leisure and business travelers are blended in everything from the restaurant with its open kitchen and lobby to the conference spaces with their dynamic meeting facilities. I am now looking forward to welcoming travelers from afar as well as West Coast residents to Scandic Landvetter, says Lina Lilja, General Manager at Scandic Landvetter.
Behind Scandic Landvetter’s unique architecture and design is the award-winning Wingårdhs architect firm, with Gert Wingårdh as chief architect. The design of the hotel is inspired by the Nordic environment with its color palette consisting of warm shades, light-hued wood and a mixture of Nordic and international handcrafted details.
Wingårdh explains that the idea for the flags came from listening to a radio program one morning about a woman who fled from Hungary to Switzerland during World War 2 and the positive feeling she got from seeing a Hungarian flag when she arrived in the country. This is exactly the feeling of being welcomed that hotel guests and travelers at Scandic Landvetter should experience.
- For me, flags are the ultimate symbol of international unity – traveling, meeting and communicating across borders. Naturally, Sweden’s second largest city and airport should have a building that reflects this. A space where warm, natural materials are showcased reign and invite togetherness. May 2021 be the year we can gather again under a common flag, says Gert Wingårdh, Architect SAR/MSA.
Scandic Landvetter is Scandic’s second airport hotel in the Swedish market, but its first in collaboration with Swedavia. With its strategic location in the modernized terminal building and exceptional proximity to the airport’s 20 gates, Scandic Landvetter is a welcome addition to the company’s hotel portfolio.
- We’ve been wanting to establish ourselves at Göteborg Landvetter Airport for many years. And now, together with strong partners in Swedavia and Midstar and in line with our customers and guests’ wishes, we can offer an international airport hotel that provides opportunities for efficient meetings without even having to leave the terminal. With Scandic Landvetter, we’re taking another step toward strengthening Scandic internationally and also positioning ourselves well as the hospitality industry readies itself for a restart, says Peter Jangbratt, Head of Sweden at Scandic Hotels.
Scandic Landvetter is also an important building block in Swedavia’s strategy to develop a modern and sustainable airport city in and around Göteborg Landvetter Airport with hotels, retail outlets and workplaces as well as warehousing and logistics operations.
- We’re naturally also extremely happy that Scandic Landvetter is opening its doors as the world opens up again and air traffic and travel begin to resume. Scandic is a very good addition to what we’re doing to develop the experience at the airport for the travelers of the future. The new hotel will contribute both to creating good accessibility and attractive places to meet for all of Western Sweden, says Anna Strömwall, Airport Director of Göteborg Lantvetter Airport at Swedavia.
Like all Scandic hotels, Scandic Landvetter has been built with sustainability in focus. The property is planned to be environmentally certified according to the highly ranked international BREEAM-SE certification, with the goal to achieve the rating, Very Good. Scandic Landvetter also features Scandic’s new room concept where sleep and the bed experience are in focus. The hotel rooms have been designed with inspiration from a circular mindset and parts of the furnishings are made of recycled materials. The interiors have a lifespan of up to 15 years and can be reused during renovations. Additionally, some materials are recyclable, which is in line with Scandic’s vision of a completely circular hotel room.
Facts about Scandic Landvetter
- Seven floors, total floor space of 10,000 m2
- Rooms: 223
- Family rooms: 80
- Accessible rooms: 27
- Animal-friendly rooms: 44
- Allergy rooms: 14
- Number of beds: 596
- Seats in restaurant & bar: 270
- Number of conference rooms: 9, max. capacity 140 people
- Coworking spaces: 38
- Gym & relaxation facilities: Sauna and hot tub with view of takeoff and landing strips
- Architecture & design: Wingårdhs, with Gert Wingårdh as chief architect
- Property owner: Swedavia (Midstar Hotels AB from June 14, 2021)
- Construction year: 2021
- Construction company: PEAB
- Environmental certification: BREEAM-SE, Very Good, from autumn 2021
- Direct connection to Göteborg Landvetter Airport’s modern passenger terminal
For more information, please contact:
Oscar Brehmer, Communication Manager, Scandic Hotels Group
Telefon: +46 721 709 297
About Scandic Hotels Group
Scandic is the largest hotel company in the Nordic countries with more than 280 hotels, in operation and under development, in more than 130 destinations. The company is the leader when it comes to integrating sustainability in all operations and its award-winning Design for All concept ensures that Scandic hotels are accessible to everyone. Well loved by guests and employees, the Scandic Friends loyalty program is the largest in the Nordic hotel industry and the company is one of the most attractive employers in the region. Scandic is listed on Nasdaq Stockholm.
Latest press releases
- September 16, 2021 09:00 CEST Scandic continues to empower the leaders of tomorrow
- September 15, 2021 08:00 CEST Scandic comments on current market situation – positive development during summer & promising start to the autumn
- September 8, 2021 09:00 CEST Scandic continues to enhance coworking concept – now introducing business breakfast
- August 26, 2021 08:05 CEST Scandic strengthens commercial management team
- September 28, 2021 Silent Period Q3 2021
- October 28, 2021 Q3 Report 2021
- January 11, 2022 Silent Period Year-End Report 2021